Thursday, November 19, 2009

Palmer Says 'Sorry' For Teen's Hit-And-Run Death

SACRAMENTO, Calif. --
A man seemed remorseful as he was sentenced Tuesday in connection with the death of a Del Campo High School student.

Tyrone Palmer

"I'm so sorry … I am," Tyrone Palmer said, as he was led away in handcuffs from a Sacramento courtroom.

Palmer was convicted in October of second-degree murder. He was also convicted of eight other counts, including vehicular manslaughter and assault. He was sentenced Tuesday to 22 years and four months to life in prison.

"I hope you rot" and "Have a good time, buddy," were said to Palmer by watchers as he was taken out of the courtroom by a sheriff's deputy.

Valerie Schmidt, Shelly Curry and Kailey McGagin

Kailey McGagin, 17, Saychelle Curry and Valerie Schmidt were hurt after a hit-and-run wreck in 2007. Curry remains in a vegetative state.

A statement from Curry's father was read in court Tuesday, saying, "She stays in a local nursing home, needing 24-hour care."

McGagin's mother, Erin McGagin, was emotional in court and said her daughter "touched so many lives, even in death."

Erin McGagin

"My purpose has been taken. I have been mom for 17 and a half years and now, I don't get to ever get to hear 'Mom' again," Erin McGagin said.

Palmer turned around to look at the victim's mother after she asked for an apology, saying, "I just want to know that you would take it back because of everything that happened."

A teary Palmer said, "Yes, I would. I'm so sorry."

"And that is what I need. At the end of all of this, thank you," Erin McGagin said.

The three girls, all Del Campo High School students, left a birthday party on Oct. 13, 2007, and came across Palmer as he was stealing a trailer.

One of the girls threw an egg at him, prosecutors said.

Palmer jumped into his truck and chased a Honda carrying the teens, police said, using his truck to ram the Honda and cut it off. The Honda's driver lost control in Fair Oaks, hitting a pole and then a tree.


In court on Tuesday, Palmer said he never saw the crash.

After the sentencing, Erin McGagin said, "He's sick, and he's where he needs to be."

Source: http://www.kcra.com/news/21640996/detail.html




Man Sentenced For Deadly Crash Talks To CBS13

The man convicted of killing a local teen in a car crash, was sentenced to 22 years in prison today. After he was sentenced, he gave his first and only interview to CBS13 from behind bars.

Tyrone Palmer spoke with CBS13 from behind bars Tuesday.

"I'm so sorry, I'm just so sorry for everything," said Tyrone Palmer. "I didn't want to hurt anybody."

Seventeen-year-old Kailey McGagin died in the crash. The driver, 18-year-old Seychelle Curry or "Shelly" remains in a vegetative state. Seventeen-year-old Valerie Schmidt suffered two broken legs.

A lot of people who admit their guilt go to prison without saying they're sorry, but this man apologized directly to the victims' families. Back in jail, Palmer talked to us, remorseful to the point where he could barely talk without crying.

Tyrone Palmer had more than an apology for Kailey McGagin's mother.

"I wanted to give her a hug and tell her I was so sorry," said Palmer.

They said they knew he was chasing them, and they were scared.

"What she is going through, no mother should be going through," said Palmer.

Palmer was a convicted felon with a history of assault. One October morning, of 2007...he was stealing a license plate off a trailer when a group of girls coming back from a high school party threw eggs at him.

"I was angry, but not to cause injury or death," said Palmer. "And then when I passed them and I realized it was girls, I was like, 'oh, it's girls'."

Palmer got into his truck and followed them. He quickly ran into the back of the car, stopping the driver Shelly Curry.

The driver drove off and Palmer pursued.

"I never saw them hit the pole. That was behind me," said Palmer. "I never saw the accident."

Palmer drover home and the CHP put out surveillance video showing the stolen truck he was driving.

Valerie Schmidt, Seychelle Curry and Kaylie McGagin (l-r)

"Did you see your truck on the news?" I asked.

"Yes, but that was a couple days later," said Palmer.

"So, then why didn't you call and say hey that's me let me explain my side of the story," I asked.

"I was scared," said Palmer.

A few months after the crash, Palmer went to jail for stealing that infamous white truck, and it was in jail that they connected him to the crash.

Source: http://cbs13.com/crime/tyrone.palmer.sentenced.2.1318248.html

No comments: